Bridge Cottage - Previous Owners and Occupiers
For further details see Hindsight volumes 8, 9, 11 & 12
Names marked (O) were owners but not occupiers.
c.1570 Occupied by Thomas Maunser, grandson or great grandson of Sir Robert Maunser, ironmaster of High Town, Wadhurst (c.1483)
1584 Arthur Langworth (O) of Buxted, gent. to Edward Orwell (O), Registrar of the Archbishop of Canterbury's Court of Arches. The Langworth brothers had many links with the Archbishops of Canterbury.
1631 Edward Orwell the Younger (O), Archbishop's Registrar to sister Joan Hill (O) and her son William Hill (O) on death of EO. The Hills probably had London business interests.
1661 Edward Hill (O), gent. of Castle Barr, co.Mayo to William Peake (O), merchant of Lewes
1685 William Peake (O) to brother- in-law Simon Snell (O), merchant and tobacconist of London, on death of WP.
1708 Simon Snell (O) to son William Snell (O), merchant.
1709 William Snell (O) to Thomas Michell (O), gent. of London
1713 Thomas Michell (O) to Henry Colgate, miller of Uckfield. The Colgates, who were also yeoman farmers, had occupied Bridge Cottage since at least 1662 and now became its owners.
1799 (October) William Wood, husband of Elizabeth (nee Colgate) is drowned by the flooding of the River Uck. Bridge Farm and Bridge Cottage pass to the Streatfeilds (O) and by 1829 are part of the Rocks Estate.